[ltp] RAM purchase

Lars Otten linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:54:48 +0100

On 17.11.2005 00:43, Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> just wondering what the advisory is for additional ram. should i
> purchase from ibm (lenovo) or is generic ok? down here (au) i have a
> generic 512mb stick for $77 vs $160 from lenovo.
>
> any thoughts - experiences.

I'd say that you can't go wrong as long as you don't get some cheap noname
BS ;-) -- after all IBM also uses different brands for their 'generic' offers.

I have for instance updated my T43 with 512 MB of Corsair RAM, and I've
heard several people report success with Crucial. Kingston was also purpoted
wo be a good choice I believe.

Although it's sometimes claimed that ThinkPads are quite picky about RAM
chips I've never really read about any concrete problems (please disprove me
if you have)...

Just my 2 cents,
/Lars