[ltp] RAM purchase

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:06:56 +1300

--nextPart94362560.zk9WZB3ZXo

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:43, Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> Hi
>
> just wondering what the advisory is for additional ram. should i
> purchase from ibm (lenovo) or is generic ok? down here (au) i have a
> generic 512mb stick for $77 vs $160 from lenovo.
>
> any thoughts - experiences.

I'm on my third Thinkpad now.  I get my RAM from www.oempcworld.com.  I'm i=
n=20
New Zealand, and no problem shipping here.

They offer a lifetime guarantee, and have the lowest prices I've found.

I put two 1G sticks into my T42 and it's flawless running 1.2G VMware sessi=
ons=20
for development work.  I've put a 256M SODIMM into my TransNote, also with =
no=20
problems.

When I first began dealing with them about the T42, they recommended I put =
in=20
PC2700DDR spec'ed for a Mac, as it uses less power and would generate less=
=20
heat, and that's what I picked.  Since they recommended it, they guarantee=
=20
it, and indeed it works fine.

When you go to their web site, they'll take you through from manufacturer t=
o=20
exact model, and tell you what sort of RAM you need.

A few months ago there was a thread here about heat and fans, and my system=
 at=20
100% CPU (Gentoo - "emerge -e world") for many hours never exceeds 60C.  I=
=20
don't know how much of that is the RAM, but it hasn't hurt.

In selling quite a bit on ebay for many years they have a good satisfaction=
=20
rating.  You don't have to go through ebay.  They've been around for years,=
=20
they have good feedback, and they have low prices, and a good guarantee.  I=
=20
recommend them and I'll buy RAM from them again.

Cheers,
Bret