[ltp] When/where/what for low power consumption?

Wolfgang Karall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:52:47 +0100

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 16:59 +0100, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> Why to "performance" and not to "on_demand"?  I find that "on_demand"
> works very well (i.e. freq is changed on the fly as needed), so there
> should be no need for "performance".  Nevertheless, when running on
> batteries, I'd prefer to have "powersave" the default since sometimes
> e.g. the web browser demands power, unneccessarily.

BTW, from my experience the "ondemand" is good for running on ac power
(low frequencies and hence low thermal values but quickly raises to
maximum speed) while on battery I prefer "conservative" since it doesn't
jump up so quickly if e.g. the browser causes a spike.

Regards
WK
--
http://linux.spiney.org/debian_gnu_linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_t43p