[ltp] Sound devices (alsa,dmix, and dev/dsp)

Fri, 18 Nov 2005 04:53:43 +0000

Dear All,

In Mandriva 2006, the alsa dmix plugin is enabled by default. This means
that any applications which use ALSA as the output (and not artsd or
oss) can happily co-exist.

This works great if for example, you want to hear sounds from system
notifications at the same time as playing a sound, or you want (for some
crazy reason!) to play 2 mp3s simultaneously, or just generally to make
sure that 2 applications don't fight to the death over the sound card.

However, even though the sound driver is ALSA, the /dev/dsp device is
not mixed. So any of the older programs (eg /usr/bin/play) can block all
the alsa programs.

My question is: is there any way to change the oss emulation, so that
multiple instances of /dev/dsp can be opened simultaneously? Why can't
alsa transparently do what it does with dmix, but with /dev/dsp ?

Yes, I know about artsd, but artsd adds lots of startup latency, and
there is also soundwrapper, but it seems to crash lots.

Thanks,

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.