[ltp] 'X' for RedHat 7.1 on A30 (Type 2652)

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:22:02 +0000

Bert Haskins wrote:
> Why beat yourself up?
> RH 7.1 is obsolete uanchient by any standard
> I have both a A30 and a A31 and Fedora core 3 and 4 install and
> run very nicely.
>
> john detwiler wrote:
>
>> For reasons long and painful to tell, I've been building Linux on a
>> virgin disk drive in my old A30.   I used RedHat 7.1, which was
>> already on-hand (kernel 2.4.2-2), with my limited skills.
>>
>> Still, everything seems to work,  except 'X'.
>>
>> SYMPTOMS:
>>
>> The LCD display flashes 10-15 times (1-sec intervals), then "INIT: Id
>> "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes" -- during which time
>> I can work (text-only).
>>
>> ATTEMPTS:
>>
>> I've run "setup", and selected 'ati' for the video.  But I don't see a
>> familiar monitor, and - whatever I choose - the setup "found problems"
>> and doesn't run.
>>
>> I can probably edit the config file, but not sure I'm up to loading
>> drivers without assistance.
>>
>> Is there any hope for me?
>>
>> Thanks!

Im a lurker here as my A21P is managed by my software guru son using
Suse 9.3.
  Installed just great out of the box  and saw the Fritz isdn pcmcia
modem. as well as everything else inc all needed drivers.
  the only hiccup is all the suggested fixes to get the DVD to play havnt
worked as yet. Any onwe got this to work and how?
  Am loth to do a dual boot with windoze just for that. miss looking at
the occasional DVD movie. Other than yhat everything is as stable as the
provirbial rock.