[ltp] LCD - technical details

Lars Otten linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:03:08 +0100

On 19.11.2005 13:03, Matthias Redlich wrote:
> I called IBM some days ago and asked for more technical details about my
> LCD in my laptop. But they were not able to give me a better answer than
> "use it with 60 Hz".

But that should be all you need to know IMO. ;)

> I am interested in a better description of my
> display containing seperate information for the horizontal sync rate or
> the vertical refresh rate and such things. A complete datasheet would be
> great.

You can calculate the values yourself: Given the fixed 60 Hz and the
resolution you can then compute the horiz. sync rate.

> I would like to use the values for a good xorg configuration. I have
> xorg working - that is not the problem. But I am interested in the
> *real* settings for my LCD. Which rates are you using in your xorg.conf?

What I always do is setting the horiz. sync rates to a wide range, like
31.5-95 -- this should be sufficient for all resolutions. Then I just fix
the vert. rate at 60 by setting the respective range to 60-60. The
commensurate horiz. rate is then selected automatically for each resolution
by the driver.

Has always worked flawlessly for me.

Cheers,
/Lars