[ltp] Debian on R50e - how to make wpa_supplicant work with wpa2?

Vaclav Stepan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:23:07 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to get a Debian unstable system running on an R50e.
Most things worked out of the box, several things were easy solved using
Google and the Wiki (frequency scaling, tpb etc).
Two problems remain which I am currently stuck with so I am asking for help.
Tell me please, should I provide any additional information.

(1) Suspend to disk using swsusp
(2) Getting WPA2 running

(1) Suspend to disk using swsusp

Suspend to RAM works fine - I disabled the GLX module in Xorg configuration
and save/restore the graphics state as described in Wiki.

I created a 1 GB swap and added it to fstab. After swapon, its there.
However, when I do an
 echo -n "disk" >/sys/power/state

it frees memory and than complains about non-accessible swap
``Try swapon -a''. Then it just recovers to running state.

Is there some limit on which partition it can save? (here its hda9)
Should I say somewhere ,,save to partition this and this''?

The kernel is Debian 2.6.14-2-686 (distro prebuilt). It's no problem to recompile
if that would help, but otherwise I am happy with it

(2) Getting WPA2 running

I downloaded firmware for ipw2200 driver, installed it under /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
and the radio works just fine for non-encrypted links.

But I need to get it running with an AP using WPA2 encryption.

So I downloaded wpa_supplicant package and tried to set it up.

I added a network section to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
network={
        ssid="xxx"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=CCMP
        #psk="..."
        psk=...
}

where the psk values are from wpa_passphrase. Then I started wpa_supplicant for ipw driver:
 wpa_supplicant -ddd -ieth1 -Dipw -K -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

However, after the initial few lines I get:
proto: 0x2
key_mgmt: 0x2
pairwise: 0x10
group: 0x10
Initializing interface (2) 'eth1'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
wpa_driver_ipw_init is called
SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=19 WE(source)=16 enc_capa=0x0
  capabilities: key_mgmt 0x0 enc 0x3
Own MAC address: 00:12:f0:ac:00:02
wpa_driver_ipw_set_wpa: enabled=1
ioctl[IPW_IOCTL_WPA_SUPPLICANT]: Operation not supported
wpa_driver_ipw_set_key: alg=none key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[IPW_IOCTL_WPA_SUPPLICANT]: Operation not supported
Failed to set encryption.

Which seems like if the driver has not the requested capabilities.
Is that a sad truth or is there just something to be enabled somewhere?

Thank you very much for any advice

Vaclav Stepan