[ltp] Re: When/where/what for low power consumption?

Andreas Seltenreich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:38:49 +0100

Felix E. Klee schrob:

> Why to "performance" and not to "on_demand"?  I find that "on_demand"
> works very well (i.e. freq is changed on the fly as needed), so there
> should be no need for "performance".  Nevertheless, when running on
> batteries, I'd prefer to have "powersave" the default since sometimes
> e.g. the web browser demands power, unneccessarily.  That's why I asked
> *where* and *when* people are turing on/off powersaving modes.  So far,
> noone has made a statement on this issue.  I'm looking for an elegant,
> easy to maintain solution, but AFAICS it should be rather simple:

IMHO a very elegant solution is to nice(1) those apps.
cpufreq/powernowd/the on_demand governor/etc ignore processes which
are niced above 0, so it won't increase frequency nor voltage when
e.g. a wannabe-webmaster thought endless-looping in JavaScript is good
engineering.

regards,
Andreas