[ltp] Experience with multiburners for the Ultrabay Slim (T41)?

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:54:40 +0100

I wonder whether I should spend the $$$ on an internal DVD writer for my
T41 or whether I should better invest the money into a big and heavy
external DVD writer.  My usage profile: I will use the writer almost
exclusively for archiving purposes, i.e. I will *not* use RW media.
However, DVD-RAM *could* be interesting - people are recommending it
even for archiving, though I've read somewhere that DVD RAM will loose
data quicker than *high* quality dye based media.  But I'm not
interested in storing my data on the same medium for decades, anyway -
so this shouldn't be much of an issue.

So, I'd like to know:

* How well do the IBM Multi burners for the Ultrabay Slim work with
   LINUX?

* How well do they work with different media, and what media is
   recommended?

* Which IBM multiburners for the Ultrabay Slim do you recommend (AFAIK,
   there are three different models already)?  Is the latest one the
   best?

--
Felix E. Klee