[ltp] Using Graphics tablet sometimes (AllowMouseOpenFail)

Dave Atkins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:33:57 -0800

From:
        http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/srvlayout

The ServerLayout section describes what devices the X server will use.
Modify the ServerLayout section to reflect the new devices. Make certain
to comment out the Mouse1 device if determined necessary from the

        Section "ServerLayout"
                Identifier     "Default Layout"
                Screen 0 "Screen0"   0 0
                InputDevice    "Mouse0"    "CorePointer"
                InputDevice    "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"
                InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
                InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
                InputDevice    "pad"   # For Intuos3 or Cintiq 21UX tablets. It should NOT send core event
                #InputDevice    "Mouse1"    "SendCoreEvents"
                #InputDevice    "tablet"    "SendCoreEvents"
        EndSection

This section determines which devices are actually used by the server.
In the case above, the cursor, stylus, and eraser devices are selected
while the mouse1 and tablet devices are commented out. At present, this
is the correct configuration for proper operation of the tablet whether
you are using the beta package or the production package.

pad should not send core events. So, it should not include
"SendCoreEvents" or "AlwaysCore".

You can configure one of your Wacom devices as a Core Pointer if you
don't have a regular mouse on your system. However, you lose the Wacom
specific functions, such as pressure sensitivity and absolute mode when
you use that device.

You have completed the XF86Config file changes. By aware that if you
reboot your computer with the Wacom plugged in and Redhat's Anaconda
program notices, it will treat the tablet as a USB mouse and reconfigure
this file incorrectly. You may need to go back and check the file to
ensure that everything is still correct afterwards. Rebooting with the
device detached seems to reverse the process, but again, you should
check the file to be certain. My recommendation is to tell Anaconda to
ignore the tablet until the device detection works properly.