[ltp] Experience with multiburners for the Ultrabay Slim (T41)?

Frank Fiene linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:16:20 +0100

Am Montag, 21. November 2005 20:54 schrieb Felix E. Klee:
> I wonder whether I should spend the $$$ on an internal DVD writer for
> my T41 or whether I should better invest the money into a big and
> heavy external DVD writer.  My usage profile: I will use the writer
> almost exclusively for archiving purposes, i.e. I will *not* use RW
> media. However, DVD-RAM *could* be interesting - people are
> recommending it even for archiving, though I've read somewhere that
> DVD RAM will loose data quicker than *high* quality dye based media.
> But I'm not interested in storing my data on the same medium for
> decades, anyway - so this shouldn't be much of an issue.
>
> So, I'd like to know:
>
> * How well do the IBM Multi burners for the Ultrabay Slim work with
>    LINUX?

Mine is working fine! I have a MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-812.

> * How well do they work with different media, and what media is
>    recommended?

No problems yet. Dunno which medias! Many! ;-)

> * Which IBM multiburners for the Ultrabay Slim do you recommend
> (AFAIK, there are three different models already)?  Is the latest one
> the best?

Please take the one which can burn also DVD+, mine does only DVD-!

Frank
--
uniorg Solutions GmbH - Märkische Strasse 237 - 44141 Dortmund
ffiene@veka.com - Tel:0231-9497-262