[ltp] T21, hangs on ACPI resume

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:25:08 -0500

I am in the same boat as you, same symptoms in fact.  However, I can get
S1 (standby) to work, which wasn't mentioned in your message.  I'll just
throw out some ideas that might be helpful for S3, in hopes that you
have more luck than I.

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 19:18 +0100, Alexis Parseghian wrote:
> So : kernel supports acpi, acpid and ibm-acpi loaded, etc. I can get
> all the acpi info (from /proc as well as the acpi utility), I can send
> the T21 into suspend-to-RAM by Fn+F4, closing the lid, executing
> sleep.sh and whatnot. (I haven't tried suspend-to-disk.)

If you haven't, you may want to try switching to single user mode (init
1) and unloading all of the modules that have known power-management
problems (uhci-hcd, 3c59x, speedstep_smi, psmouse).  You could even be
on the safe side by unloading all modules that you do not need.  Then,
after doing that, try suspending to RAM.

> Following the advice found here and elsewhere, I tried specifying
> kernel options : acpi_sleep=s3_bios, nolapic, noapic, with or without
> video= and vga= options... I still get the above behavior.

Do you have savagefb built as a module or compiled into the kernel
(CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE)?  I found that I could not suspend the machine (S1)
when this module was loaded or built into the kernel, so I assume that
it would interfere with S3 in the same way.

Best of luck,
Kevin