[ltp] LCD - technical details

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:19:06 -0500

On 11/21/05, Eric Van Buggenhaut <eric@sindominio.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 02:03:08PM +0100, Lars Otten wrote:
> > On 19.11.2005 13:03, Matthias Redlich wrote:
> > > I called IBM some days ago and asked for more technical details about=
 my
> > > LCD in my laptop. But they were not able to give me a better answer t=
han
> > > "use it with 60 Hz".
> >
> > But that should be all you need to know IMO. ;)
> >
> > > I am interested in a better description of my
> > > display containing seperate information for the horizontal sync rate =
or
> > > the vertical refresh rate and such things. A complete datasheet would=
 be
> > > great.
> >
> > You can calculate the values yourself: Given the fixed 60 Hz and the
> > resolution you can then compute the horiz. sync rate.
> >
> > > I would like to use the values for a good xorg configuration. I have
> > > xorg working - that is not the problem. But I am interested in the
> > > *real* settings for my LCD. Which rates are you using in your xorg.co=
nf?

> > What I always do is setting the horiz. sync rates to a wide range, like
> > 31.5-95 -- this should be sufficient for all resolutions. Then I just f=
ix
> > the vert. rate at 60 by setting the respective range to 60-60. The
> > commensurate horiz. rate is then selected automatically for each resolu=
tion
> > by the driver.
>
> Refreshing vert. rate is meaningless when using LCD panels (there's no
> such thing as a refreshing beam).
>

> --
> Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
> Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be
> --

Check your Xorg log.  It's probably full of interesting info, like the
make/model of the screen.  mine, as it turns out is a: Samsung
LTN150P1-L02

lcd screens refresh all pixels at once, thus why they do not appear to
flicker at 60Hz like crts.  A higher refresh rate will probably go
completely unoticed, although there are some screens out there that
like to run at 70 or 75Hz..

--
Noah Dain