[ltp] XRandR reporting wrong refresh rates

Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:53:17 -0500

On 11/23/05, John Locke <mail@freelock.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded my T41 to Mandriva 2006, and everything is working
> great! However, I'm having a slight issue getting the KDE RandR applet
> to work correctly, because it's giving very strange refresh values.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Mandriva problem or an Xorg/Radeon problem.
>
> Here's the output of xrandr:
> SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
> *0   2424 x 1050   ( 604mm x 232mm )  *22052
>  1   1400 x 1050   ( 604mm x 232mm )   12572 12567
>  2   1024 x 768    ( 604mm x 232mm )   12572
>  3    800 x 600    ( 604mm x 232mm )   12567
>
> I've got a dual head setup, and the different modes work great--but as
> you can see, the Refresh numbers are completely out of whack. I can
> change resolutions using xrandr -s, but I think the krandr applet passes
> the refresh rate to xrandr, which doesn't work:
>  X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2
>   Major opcode:  155
>   Minor opcode:  2
>   Resource id:  0x311c
>
> I've tried setting all sorts of different modelines from different
> generators... I'd just like to get the KDE applet working so it restores
> whatever I have as my previous session, and can easily switch it without
> scaring off my (Windows using) clients... Has anyone seen this, or have
> any solutions?
>
> This is using kernel 2.6.12, the Radeon driver, a CVS version of xorg
> 6.9 (from 20050915).

This is the standard behavior for mergedfb.  since you have two heads
you can theoretically have multiple combinations of refresh rates on
each head (xrandr isn't multi-head aware), so rather than reporting
any specific rates, the driver just fills in random numbers.

Alex