[ltp] Problem with T43p and Xorg: hard freeze :-(

Reynald Borer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:25:07 +0100

Hi guys,

Recently I bought a brand new T43p 15", and I'm experiencing some hard
freezes with Xorg when using the radeon driver.

My distribution is Gentoo Linux, and I'm currently using the VESA driver
on Xorg 6.8.2 but it's really slow for videos...

Here are the symptoms:
- I do a startx that works only with a solid background; if there is a
background image then it freeze as soon as started.
- I open a terminal, it's ok but the display is somewhat no very fluid,
when I type some text parts of it is displayed with a little delay.
- As soon as I try to move the window, it doesn't move but freeze, then
half a second later my mouse does not respond any more, hard freeze, I
need to use the power button to stop the computer. Even with Magic SysRq
compiled in the kernel it's completely frozen.

Any hints on this problem ? I've already tried "DynamicClocks Off" in my
xorg.conf but it does not help. I'm also not able to use ATI binary
driver because my Xorg is compiled with dloader (if you know gentoo then
you'll know what I'm talking about).

Thanks in advance for your help,
Reynald

P.S: I have the framebuffer activated in my kernel.
P.S2: I tried with Windows XP (bouh  :-( ) playing a video game and no
problems, so it's not a hardware problem...

--
Reynald Borer < reynald@borer.name >
http://www.borer.name/reynald/