[ltp] [x31] extremely slow booting when usb key inserted

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Oct 2005 17:04:34 -0400

Mack Stevenson wrote:
> Howdy everyone,
>
> I have noticed that ever since I enabled the "USB Boot" option in my
> X31's BIOS the boot process becomes very slow (eg, 1min30 just to get
> past the initial IBM splash screen) whenever I have a USB key inserted
> into my thinkpad.
>
> Does fellow thinkpad user also experience this problem? I can boot a
> linux distribution installed on the key without any trouble, but (and
> this is true no matter what is stored in the usb key drive) just having
> it plugged in at boot time makes booting very slow. (Disabling the USB
> boot option makes this problem go away, but the trouble is that now I
> actually need to boot from a usb drive a few times a week...)
>
> Is this a problem with my machine? I have updated to the latest
> BIOS/embedded controller versions to no avail...

Is the USB drive bootable, when this problem happens?  Since you told
the computer to boot from USB and there's a USB drive plugged in, it's
probably trying to find an OS, before failing and continuing on.