[t42]slow kernel booting [ was Re: [ltp] [x31] extremely slow booting when usb key inserted]

Eric Van Buggenhaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 02:09:31 +0200

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 10:23:53PM +0200, Mack Stevenson wrote:
> Howdy everyone,
>
> I have noticed that ever since I enabled the "USB Boot" option in my
> X31's BIOS the boot process becomes very slow (eg, 1min30 just to get
> past the initial IBM splash screen) whenever I have a USB key inserted
> into my thinkpad.
>
> Does fellow thinkpad user also experience this problem? I can boot a
> linux distribution installed on the key without any trouble, but (and
> this is true no matter what is stored in the usb key drive) just having
> it plugged in at boot time makes booting very slow. (Disabling the USB
> boot option makes this problem go away, but the trouble is that now I
> actually need to boot from a usb drive a few times a week...)
>
> Is this a problem with my machine? I have updated to the latest
> BIOS/embedded controller versions to no avail...

I also have a very slow boot, but not at the same moment as you.

When the kernel is loaded in memory and the word LILO appears on the
screen followed by ..........
Those dots appear _very_ slowly and until the kernel image actually
boots, i might wait 15-20 seconds.

Has anyone had the same problem ? Is there a solution ?

Thanks

> Thanks for any tip!
>
> Mack Stevenson

Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT