[t42]slow kernel booting [ was Re: [ltp] [x31] extremely slow booting when usb key inserted]

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:24:11 +0200

--=-Wmd7BUEYtJTD8E5jguh1

hi,

try to add this in your lilo.conf

--------------CUT-------------------------
# Faster, but won't work on all systems:
compact
--------------PASTE-----------------------

But as the comment says, it doesn't work on all systems ;)

Greetz

Konstantin Filtschew

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 02:09 +0200, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 10:23:53PM +0200, Mack Stevenson wrote:
> > Howdy everyone,
> >=20
> > I have noticed that ever since I enabled the "USB Boot" option in my=20
> > X31's BIOS the boot process becomes very slow (eg, 1min30 just to get=20
> > past the initial IBM splash screen) whenever I have a USB key inserted=20
> > into my thinkpad.
> >=20
> > Does fellow thinkpad user also experience this problem? I can boot a=20
> > linux distribution installed on the key without any trouble, but (and=20
> > this is true no matter what is stored in the usb key drive) just having=
=20
> > it plugged in at boot time makes booting very slow. (Disabling the USB=20
> > boot option makes this problem go away, but the trouble is that now I=20
> > actually need to boot from a usb drive a few times a week...)
> >=20
> > Is this a problem with my machine? I have updated to the latest=20
> > BIOS/embedded controller versions to no avail...
>=20
> I also have a very slow boot, but not at the same moment as you.
>=20
> When the kernel is loaded in memory and the word LILO appears on the=20
> screen followed by ..........
> Those dots appear _very_ slowly and until the kernel image actually=20
> boots, i might wait 15-20 seconds.
>=20
> Has anyone had the same problem ? Is there a solution ?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> >=20
> > Thanks for any tip!
> >=20
> > Mack Stevenson
> >=20
> > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE=
!=20
> >=20
>=20
> --=20
> Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
> Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be
--=20
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
instructions.

--=-Wmd7BUEYtJTD8E5jguh1

--=-Wmd7BUEYtJTD8E5jguh1--