[ltp] dual screen on x30

Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:22:44 -0400

On 10/4/05, John Shane <jslists@mtwafrica.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:03:15 -0400
> Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I just bought a used X30 that will be delivered to me later this week=
.
> > > I'm already reading the various write ups out there on how to put
> > > Debian on it. One thing I haven't found information about is how to
> > > run dual screens on the X30. That is, how do I get different content
> > > on the external and internal screens? The graphic controller is Intel
> > > 830.
> > >
> > > Is this possible to accomplish? Where do I start reading?
> > >

> > yes this is possible and supported by the i810 xorg driver, however
> > the intel integrated chips are generally kind of flakey and
> > troublesome to get working properly, so it may take some work. you'd
> > set it up just like any other dualhead card config.
> >
> > Alex
>
> Alex, could one use an X30 in the Dock II with a graphics card in the PCI
> slot to have better dualhead performance or would the i810 in the
> X30 override the card in the Dock II?

you could use either or both.  There's nothing inherently wrong with
the i8xx chip, it just tends to be a bit flakey at times (plus
integrated chips tend to perform badly since they don't have discrete
vram).  With a pci card you could run X on just the PCI card, or on
the i810 and the pci card, etc.  You could theoretically get 4 heads
if you used both crtcs on the i8xx and a dualhead pci card.

Alex