[ltp] London suppliers of used Thinkpads

Eric A. Constant linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 04 Oct 2005 21:07:36 -0400

Ted Frater wrote:

> Eric A. Constant wrote:
>
>> Ted Frater wrote:

>>> I cant help you in London, but im just 2 hrs away on theS coast (
>>> Bmth) andhave a very good friend who supplies Thinkpads to me and
>>> others.
>>> Ill be able to cal lhim on Thursday( im away till then from my
>>> desk)of this week to find out what he can get for you.
>>> Dont get a P4 powered machine.
>>> you must get a Thinkpad with the Centrino processor. Much better and
>>> much less power huingry.
>>>  One of the later T range such as the T 30 or 31 would be a good
>>> step up.
>>> as soon as ive some info ill write here again.
>>> Ted Frater
>>> thinkpad dealer and enthusiast in Dorset UK.
>>

>> But isn't a T30 a P4-M machine?
>> -Eric (soon to be getting a T23)
>>
> I think of the P4 as the desktop processor used by the cheap laptop
> makers .
> I always thought the Centrino  was the development of  the P3m .  And
> is called the dothan.
> However im sure thatsomeone will clarify the intel processor family
> better than  me.

Okay, I think I see what you mean (and I could very easily be wrong
since I'm a novice when it comes to laptops):  For the current line the
Celeron is Intel's cheapest laptop chip (and I think cheapest desktop
chip).  You're right, the Centrino/P-M is a development of the P3m
(which IMO makes the P3m a good lower-budget choice).  The P4-M, at
least for laptops, was developed after the P3m but in many ways was a
step backwards (at least that is what I've been led to believe) and I
think you're right here too, the P4-M a desktop chip in a laptop.