[ltp] prefer not to hear the fan

Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:25:49 +0300

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 05:33:41AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> P.S. what is writing to the disk about every five seconds even in
> single user mode with all logging programs to /var/log/* killed?
>
> I don't want to spin down my disks or save power. I just think there
> must be no need to write so often, and wonder what is doing it and
> where it is writing to. lsof didn't help.

ext3fs journal.

If you do something like mount / -o remount,noatime,commit=3D600, the disk
should spin up only once every 10 minutes (assuming no programs need to
read a file that is not in cache in the meantime).

Debian/Ubuntu comes with laptop-mode that does this and a few other
things automatically -- but only when you are on battery power.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
One could envision a different approach to persistence (hands wave and
magical stardust appears overhead to percussive indian string music)
where objects in the database were proxied rather than deriving from a
common base class.
	-- Casey Duncan

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr--