[ltp] OT: SATA to be the standard of all 2.5" HD???

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 05:05:08 +0200

Kelvin KAN wrote:
> Just read that Seagate announced two large-capacity 120GB & 100GB 2.5"
> drives respectively  ST91020821AS & ST9100821AS.
>
> But they are all SATA interface.
>
> Are HD vendors going to abandon ATA?
>
> Or PC vendors going to adopt SATA in all future laptops?
>
> Because obviously my old too old T42 is still ATA only.

It is very likely that harddrive vendors will drop PATA support sooner
or later. I guess the now available PATA harddrives will stick around
for a while still. There's surely still market enough for 120 GB PATA
drives as well. But i wouldn't expect them to get much larger than that
anymore, since newer notebooks will have SATA interfaces. That mean for
harddrive vendors the OEM market will be SATA only soon. The consumer
market will shift over time as well, so the interest in producing PATA
drives will get quite low.

André.