[ltp] OT: SATA to be the standard of all 2.5" HD???

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 23:57:49 -0600

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 23:19 -0400, James Knott wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I believe drives passed the maximum ATA size a
> while ago, which means anything larger than that limit has to be SATA.

You info is out of date. Every time a logical block addressing limit was
close to be approached, a new higher bit LBA spec was created.

The current 48bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) allows for 144
petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes).

At home, I have two 500GB PATA drives in a RAID1 mirror. The 48bit LBA
works great. :)

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs