[ltp] IBM Recovery CDs, partitions

Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:05:01 +0200

------=_Part_25770_18378448.1128668701155

On 10/6/05, Ignacio Fern=E1ndez Galv=E1n <ybllej@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Henk Jansen, 30-09-2005:
>
> > I bought an R52 in Holland 2 months ago. I was *very* unsuccessful in
> > trying to install Linux in parallel with pre-installed XP version by
> > IBM: not only did XP refuse to load when grub was in the master boot
> > record (MBR), even the default NTLDR (Windows bootloader), together wit=
> > a dd'd linux.bin (containing the 512 bytes of the boot section) in the
> > C: partion refused to recognize the linux boot partion.
>
> My experience with an R51 is this.
>
> Grub installed on a hda3 (/boot partition, not MBR).
> hda1 set as active partition.
> hda3 boot sector copied to C: (with dd) an boot.ini set accordingly.
> Everything works fine. I get NTLDR and then Grub.
>
> Same setup, but now hda3 set as active partition.
> As far as I can tell, this should make Grub appear without NTLDR.
> However, I get some kind of "No OS found" error.

I encountered at that time excactly the same message ("No OS found"). I
guessed then that NTLDR was refusing to load the dd'd linux.bin which in my
opinion was very bad behavior of NTLDR. A complete fresh install of XP from
CD's in the end overcame all the dual-boot problems.

Didn't try other setups (particularly, Grub on MBR), since the first one
> is enough for my needs.

------=_Part_25770_18378448.1128668701155

ername">Ignacio Fern=E1ndez Galv=E1n</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ybllej@yahoo=
.es">ybllej@yahoo.es</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"=
 style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.=
8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Henk Jansen, 30-09-2005:<br><br>&gt; I bought an R52 in Holland 2 months ag=
o. I was *very* unsuccessful in<br>&gt; trying to install Linux in parallel=
 with pre-installed XP version by<br>&gt; IBM: not only did XP refuse to lo=
ad when grub was in the master boot
r with<br>&gt; a dd'd linux.bin (containing the 512 bytes of the boot secti=
on) in the<br>&gt; C: partion refused to recognize the linux boot partion.
(/boot partition, not MBR).<br>hda1 set as active partition.<br>hda3 boot s=
ector copied to C: (with dd) an boot.ini set accordingly.<br>Everything wor=
ks fine. I get NTLDR and then Grub.
n tell, this should make Grub appear without NTLDR.<br>However, I get some =
I encountered at that time excactly the same message (&quot;No OS found&quo=
t;). I
guessed then that NTLDR was refusing to load the dd'd linux.bin which
in my opinion was very bad behavior of NTLDR. A complete fresh install
of XP from CD's in the end overcame all the dual-boot problems.<br>
&nbsp;</div><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px=
 solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">D=
idn't try other setups (particularly, Grub on MBR), since the first one<br>=
is enough for my needs.
Correo Yahoo!<br>Nuevos servicios, m=E1s seguridad<br><a href=3D"http://cor=
iling list home page is at: