[ltp] Moving windows

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:31:40 +0100

Dear All,

This is slightly OT, but I wonder if anyone has done this successfully.
I've just bought a Thinkpad X22 (secondhand, great machine), and it
comes with Win2k. I'm going to wipe the HDD and install Linux only.
However, I'd like to put the Windows install onto my desktop machine -
it's occasionally useful to have via QEMU. So, my questions:

1)Is it legal to do this? I know it *ought* to be.

2)Is it possible? If so, how? (I haven't got any form of install/rescue
disk)

3)If I just dd it across over the network, will it boot OK, and is there
any way to shrink the "partition"?

Thanks for your help,

Best wishes,

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.