[ltp] Moving windows

Jules Villard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 01:54:10 +0200

------=_Part_1545_13327848.1128729250752

Hi,

On 10/8/05, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> This is slightly OT, but I wonder if anyone has done this successfully.
> I've just bought a Thinkpad X22 (secondhand, great machine), and it
> comes with Win2k. I'm going to wipe the HDD and install Linux only.
> However, I'd like to put the Windows install onto my desktop machine -
> it's occasionally useful to have via QEMU. So, my questions:
>
> 1)Is it legal to do this? I know it *ought* to be.

I don't think it is. Windows comes with an OEM license when pre-installed o=
computers, so it's weaker than a "real" windows license, and correct me if
I'm wrong but I think it means that you can't use this license on any other
computer.

I don't know for your points 2) and 3)...

Good night,

Jules

------=_Part_1545_13327848.1128729250752

Hi,<br>
On 10/8/05, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Richard Neill</b> &lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk">rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk</a>&gt; wrote:<div><s=
pan class=3D"gmail_quote"></span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D=
"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padd=
ing-left: 1ex;">
Dear All,<br><br>This is slightly OT, but I wonder if anyone has done this =
successfully.<br>I've just bought a Thinkpad X22 (secondhand, great machine=
), and it<br>comes with Win2k. I'm going to wipe the HDD and install Linux =
only.
br>it's occasionally useful to have via QEMU. So, my questions:<br><br>1)Is=
&nbsp;I don't think it is. Windows comes with an OEM license when
pre-installed on computers, so it's weaker than a &quot;real&quot; windows
license, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think it means that you
can't use this license on any other computer.<br>
I don't know for your points 2) and 3)...<br>
Good night,<br>
Jules<br>

------=_Part_1545_13327848.1128729250752--