[ltp] Re: I bought the R52 !!!

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:33:57 +1300

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 22:18, km wrote:
> Great advice.
>
> If you want to use Linux, you have to learn c and start to write your own
> programs! Wow, thats a competitive edge no other OS in 2005 has!

It's not exactly difficult either, just requires a considerable degree of care
and attention to details. There is a _lot_ of Instructional material out
there on the 'Net to learn C and C++.

To start see the comp.lang.c FAQ by Steve Summit:-
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/faq.html
Excellent. Covers the odd corners of the language well.

My own small offering to get the arrow out of the quiver:-
ftp://ftp-svr.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/misc/sawtell_C.shar
It's a self extracting shell archive. Written using British grammar and
spelling. C not C++ & needs updating badly. It's on the TODO list.
Many other useful tutorial files in this directory also.

A magnum opus to get the arrow into the bullseye:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dmjones/cbook1_0a.pdf.
If C coding standards, the "HOWs and WHYs" of C coding are of interest to you,
I'm sure you'll find this book of use. The list of its 1448 bibliographical
references alone comprises the last 38 pages. Well writtten in British
English, but is in urgent need of a sensitive proof reader and editor. Very
useful 'as is' nonetheless

 For this particular project the difficulty is the horrendously complex maths
required to extract, process, and decode the data from the _very_ noisy
signal. Not by any means a task to be attempted in a "couple of weeks" by a
mere mortal.

A port to Linux from a well documented MSWin program where the signal
processing works well would probably be possible for a mere mortal to do.
I'm tempted to attempt this somewhat daunting project, but can not offer any
promises whatsoever about a successful outcome, or the time it might take.

--
CS