[ltp] Moving windows

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:15:22 -0400

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:31:40 +0100, Richard Neill wrote
> Dear All,

Honestly,

> This is slightly OT, but I wonder if anyone has done this successfully.
> I've just bought a Thinkpad X22 (secondhand, great machine), and it
> comes with Win2k. I'm going to wipe the HDD and install Linux only.
> However, I'd like to put the Windows install onto my desktop machine
> - it's occasionally useful to have via QEMU. So, my questions:
>
> 1)Is it legal to do this? I know it *ought* to be.

No, hell no. That version is associated with that machine. Being 100% right
here.

> 2)Is it possible? If so, how? (I haven't got any form of
> install/rescue disk)

Only with DD, else use any win2k CD and use the License below the PC. If it
would be legal.

> 3)If I just dd it across over the network, will it boot OK, and is
> there any way to shrink the "partition"?

I doubt it would work fine, IS WINDOWS! Who said it you had the same
hardware and stuff. This is highly not reccomended.

If it would be XP, it might boot and then recognize the stuff and work OK,
but I would never do such thing.

> Thanks for your help,

You are welcome, stick to Linux!

.Alejandro