[ltp] Moving windows

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 05:41:17 +0100

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. It looks as though the
consensus is thus:

1)It might work - but may not, because Windows may complain that the
hardware is being changed under it. There shouldn't be driver issues -
the QEMU hardware is pretty standard. I'll give it a try anyway.

2)It's morally legal to do this, but the technicalities are murky.

3)Yes, this is crazy, and I should stick with Linux. However the reason
is that my friend is being migrated from WinME (ugh!!) to Tux, and it
would be useful if she could have some means of running Windows software
eg Publisher (yuk!) without going completely cold-turkey. I don't want
to pay for a separate copy of Windows, and I really don't want to copy
the WinME installation, since that is so badly corrupted(*).

Best wishes,

Richard

(*)Windows systems have "half lives". This one is on its 5th - and even
right-clicking the C: drive will crash it. My friend was also not aware
that there was anything wrong with getting "dubious" popups every time
she opened I.E. - and that this was just to be expected!! The only way
to clean this system is a thorough de-fenestration.