[ltp] question for X32 owners [was: finding thinkpads which boot from usb 2.0 disk]

Mack Stevenson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:22:14 +0200

Dear all,

I have found a used X32 for a price I can afford. Could I ask a favor of any
charitable X32 owners out there?

Given some particularities of my job, having a system which can be
configured to

(i) consistently boot from an external USB device when present and

(ii) preserve/remember rule (i) when the system  is occasionally booted
without such a USB device attached

would make my daily routine considerably easier.

So, if you have the time and are feeling charitable, please try the
following:

1) change the boot order in the BIOS so that external USB HD comes on top
2) boot once without any such device attached
3) check that, the *next time* you boot, the BIOS still lists USB HD at the
top of the startup sequence.

Thank you so much for your time,

Mack