[ltp] Moving windows

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:51:55 +1300

--nextPart1275827.vrrXHhcOxm

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:31, Richard Neill wrote:

> This is slightly OT, but I wonder if anyone has done this successfully.
> I've just bought a Thinkpad X22 (secondhand, great machine), and it
> comes with Win2k. I'm going to wipe the HDD and install Linux only.
> However, I'd like to put the Windows install onto my desktop machine -
> it's occasionally useful to have via QEMU. So, my questions:
>
> 1)Is it legal to do this? I know it *ought* to be.
>
> 2)Is it possible? If so, how? (I haven't got any form of install/rescue
> disk)

I believe Norton Ghost can do this - I got a copy as an add-on with my last=
=20
Norton SystemWorks 98 - if you have one of those, check if you have a copy =
of=20
Ghost.

Otherwise, you might Google around that term ("ghost"), and find other=20
schemes/tools for doing the same thing.

'dd' can make an image of the partition, which could be installed into an=20
exact same size partition on the destination.  Booting the system then woul=
d=20
be the next trick, but I expect that can be done by grub.  Afterwards you=20
could resize the partition if you wanted.  I'd try the experiment and find=
=20
out - sounds interesting.

Cheers,
Bret