[ltp] finding thinkpads which boot from usb 2.0 disk

Peter Lemken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:59:58 +0200

On Sunday 09 October 2005 07:37, Joel Ebel wrote:
> The T40 definitely supports USB 2.0 and booting from it.  Originally it
> suffered from the BIOS not remembering the boot order if the USB drive
> was removed, but with a BIOS update, that's fixed.  It can remember to
> boot from USB first.

Actually, how do you do it?

I've waded through

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fireboot.html

and found no way of booting the kernel AND the root file system on an external
device. Can you tell us, what your internal HDD looks like in term of
bootmanager and how you made the kernel understand to mount an external
device at root fs?

I've managed to boot from the external usb disk, but never managed to mount
the root fs on the same device.

Peter Lemken
Berlin