[ltp] Re: Thinkpad T20 lcd dim

Wookey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:50:30 +0100

+++ Bert Haskins [05-10-12 09:21 -0400]:

> >>I've got a T20 that the display has gone out on... it is always dim, you
> >>can see the display under bright light or with a flashlight, but is
> >>otherwise dark.
> >>
> >>Anyone have any suggestions about whether the problem is in the lcd
> >>
> It could be the CCFL tube, the DC/DC converter, the inverter, the
> cable(s) and probably  even
> something else that I haven't run into yet.
> At one time or another I have seen each one of these cause the "dim/no
> backlight" condition.

Yep - that's a about right. I have the same problem on my T22. I bought a
new inverter and it fixed the problem perfectly for 2 days, then it went
dark again :-(  Does that mean there are two problems? A new inverter drove
a borderline part for a short while?

Rather than continue to randomly buy bits to work out the problem, I'm going
to send it to a laptop repair place where they have a good stock of bits to
swap in an out so they can get to the bottom of it. More expensive but
hopefully more effective.

Wookey