[ltp] t43 ipw2200 wireless

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:38:22 -0400

Hi guys,

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:04:52AM +0200, 20100 p wrote:
> On 9/27/05, Domas Monkus <domas.m@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've installed Arch linux (www.archlinux.org <http://www.archlinux.org>)
> > on my T43. Now I'm
> > strugling to get wireless working. Under Windows XP it works fine. But
> > when I load the driver under linux, it does not, even though I get no
> > errors in the logs. Running iwconfig after loading the module returns
> > that no wireless interfaces are found. What is more, the wireless led is
> > off and it seems the adapter could just be turned off, however I've been
> > unable to find a way to turn it on. I have downloaded the latest
> > firmware (2.4) and, as I have already mentioned, it returns no errors.
>
> As for my case, which looks like yours, I managed to have the ipw2200 module
> and the wifi card working, by doing a :
> suro rmmod ipw2200 && sudo modprobe ipw2200
> And then everything is alright.
> I now have to find why the module is loaded at boot time but not working...

     For what it's worth, I've been experiencing some oddness with
ubuntu and ipw2200, on my T43p.  For me, the issue related to swsusp;
when I suspend-to-disk and then resume, quite frequently I get the
symptoms Vincent reports above.  A quick "modprobe -r ipw2200;
modprobe ipw2200" fixes it.

     I filed a bug with the ubuntu bug tracking site and the
conclusion that eventually bubbled up is that swsusp was somehow not
properly configured, so the resume process wasn't finding the ipw2200
stuff to load.  I have no idea how kernel modules work, but I'm
getting the sense that somehow the failure resulted in an incomplete
entry in some list or table of modules.  The entry is there, so
modprobe by itself doesn't try to load the module, but the module
isn't working.

     They've fixed this in the next release, Ubuntu Breezy, which was
in beta until yesterday.  Some of the other folks who had the problem
(I can't afford to have my laptop down right now) have confirmed that
the problem is not reoccurring under Ubuntu Breezy.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - http://darksleep.com/notablog