[ltp] madwifi question

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:23:16 -0500 (CDT)

So I'm attempting to install the madwifi driver on my laptop running Debian
Sid.  I downloaded it through CVS from the sourceforge site with this [1]
command.  I've read the readme file and have been following this [2]
walkthrough on getting  it setup and installed.  I downloaded the source for
the 2.6.12 kernel and configured it the way that I want.  I haven't ran kpkg
yet to compile it because I want to make sure I get all the madwifi stuff in
there first.

I get the following error when I issue the make command in the madwifi
directory:

cletus@opium:~/madwifi$ make KERNELPATH=/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.12/
Checking if all requirements are met... ok.
mkdir -p ./symbols
for i in ./ath_hal ath_rate/sample ./net80211 ./ath; do \
        make -C $i || exit 1; \
done
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/cletus/madwifi/ath_hal'
make -C /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.12/ SUBDIRS=/home/cletus/madwifi/ath_hal
MODVERDIR=/home/cletus/madwifi/ath_hal/../symbols modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.12'

  WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.12/Module.symvers
           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

  CC [M]  /home/cletus/madwifi/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o
/bin/sh: scripts/genksyms/genksyms: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [/home/cletus/madwifi/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/cletus/madwifi/ath_hal] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.12'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cletus/madwifi/ath_hal'
make: *** [all] Error 1
cletus@opium:~/madwifi$

Why am I getting the symbol version dump warning, and what are the errors
listed after the "make[n]:" prompts?

I've issued the make command while being my regular user as well as being
root and I get the same output.

Do I need to build my kernel and boot into it, then compile madwifi and
recompile another kernel?  This [3] is essentially how I compile my kernels.

[1] cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/madwifi co madwifi
[2] http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=debian
[3] http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/202

--