[ltp] Carrying a Thinkpad in a Rucksack

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:50:49 -0700

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Gurunandan R. Bhat wrote:
>     How safe is a Thinkpad in a rucksack. I am not worried about
> mechanical shocks since my Case Logic ruckscak is much better padded
> than the original carry case. I carry my rucksack slung on a single
> shoulder and I was worried that the angle might twist the base and the
> lid disproportionately. In any case I would be reassured if there are
> others who do this without damage.
One possible word of warning.  When I travel I generally take a
laptop-backpack with wheels and a handle.  I walk a fair distance with
this, such as from the airport to my hotel (about a mile).  Some of the
pavement is less than smooth, meaning the laptop is vibrating (it's
turned off, of course).  I've had to replace two hard drives (Toshiba
drives in a Toshiba laptop) within a year or so of them being new.
Could certainly be coincidence, but perhaps the vibration has resulted
in the drives dying prematurely...

Bill
Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.