[ltp] Hard drive constantly spinning down

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:08:11 -0700

I just replaced the standard 40GB drive in my T42 with a Toshiba 60GB
drive.  Upon booting it appears the drive is spinning down after only a
few seconds, as almost every command I type is followed by a slight
delay, and then I hear the drive spin up.  I've tried "hdparm -B 255
/dev/hda" to turn off APM on the drive, but this doesn't seem to help.
I also think the drive may be operating far slower than it should - I
tried a "hdparm -t /dev/hda" and only got about 30MB/sec.  If I'm not
mistaken the old drive got over 100MB/sec, and this drive in it's
previous laptop (Toshiba Tecra S1) got around 100MB/sec as well.  Here's
my hdparm -I output:

    /dev/hda:

    ATA device, with non-removable media
            Model Number:       TOSHIBA MK6026GAX
            Serial Number:      556U0335T
            Firmware Revision:  PA202G
    Standards:
            Supported: 6 5 4 3
            Likely used: 6
    Configuration:
            Logical         max     current
            cylinders       16383   16383
            heads           16      16
            sectors/track   63      63
            --
            CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
            LBA    user addressable sectors:  117210240
            device size with M = 1024*1024:       57231 MBytes
            device size with M = 1000*1000:       60011 MBytes (60 GB)
    Capabilities:
            LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
            bytes avail on r/w long: 48     Queue depth: 1
            Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
    minimum
            R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
            Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x00c8)
            DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
    udma3 udma4 *udma5
                 Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
            PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
                 Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
    Commands/features:
            Enabled Supported:
               *    NOP cmd
               *    READ BUFFER cmd
               *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
               *    Host Protected Area feature set
               *    Look-ahead
               *    Write cache
               *    Power Management feature set
                    Security Mode feature set
               *    SMART feature set
               *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
               *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
                    SET MAX security extension
               *    Advanced Power Management feature set
               *    SMART self-test
               *    SMART error logging
    Security:
            Master password revision code = 65534

                supported

            not     enabled
            not     locked
                    frozen
            not     expired: security count
            not     supported: enhanced erase
            44min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
    HW reset results:
            CBLID- above Vih
            Device num = 0 determined by the jumper
    Checksum: correct

And here's my fstab:

    /dev/hda6            /                    reiserfs
    defaults,user_xattr,noatime,defaults        1 1
    /dev/hda1            /windows/C           ntfs
    ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
    /dev/hda3            /windows/D           vfat
    users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    /dev/hda5            swap                 swap
    pri=42                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts
    mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    proc                 /proc                proc
    defaults              0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs
    noauto                0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs
    noauto                0 0
    /dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs
    noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    /dev/hdc             /media/dvd           subfs
    noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Bill

Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.