[ltp] Conexant modem: NO CARRIER

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:31:05 +0200

Hi all,

I have an IBM Thinkpad R51 with Mandriva LE2005. The modem is identified
as an Intel one, but it seems to have a Conexant chipset, so I installed
the hsfmodem rpm package from the club repository. The module loads fine
and the system seems to be using the hsfmc97ich driver.

At first sight, the modem seems to be working, if I set kppp to dial my
cell phone, it does so an my phone rings. But when I set it to dial my ISP
number, I only hear a constant "screech" (after the dialing tones, of
course) and, after a time out, I get a "NO CARRIER" response. The same
settings (phone number, username...) work fine in windows.

So, verything seems to be working, except the last step: the modem is not
replying to the ISP. What am I missing? Anyone having a similar experience
(and solving it)?

Thanks

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad