[ltp] "debian update-grub script" and thinkpad hidden recovery

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:03:14 -0400

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 18:24 +0100, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> The "debian update-grub script" (and maybe some others stuffs) STILL
> believe that hda1 is my '/', and each time there is a kernel or module
> update my menu.lst is regenerated with the incorrect partition number,
> and I have to manually fix it.

When you say "believe that hda1 is my /" I assume you mean that the
kernel is passed the root=/dev/hda1 option and/or the grub root device
is being incorrectly set to (hd0,1).  If there is something else, please
specify exactly what you mean.

The update-grub script gets its default options from comments in the
menu.lst file.  To change the kernel root device option, look for the
line
# kopt=root=/dev/hda1
and change it to
# kopt=root=/dev/hda2
then run update-grub and it will rebuild the automatic kernel list using
the changed kernel options.

If the problem is that the grub root device is being incorrectly set,
change
# groot=(hd0,1)
# groot=(hd0,0)
then run update-grub and it will rebuild the automatic kernel list using
the correct grub root device.

Also, please have a look at the update-grub(8) manual page, which
explains these options.

Cheers,
Kevin