[ltp] Redundant entry in serial pci_table

sabine funk linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:47:07 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C5D435.DE0FCDA0

hello,
i am suddenly encountering problems with my thinkpad t21 and don't find =
anything helpful on the web, perhaps someone on the list has an idea =
what's going on.

for a long time i have been running suse linux 9.1 and win2k (for my =
digital tv card) on my notebook, things where just fine.
last week while i was setting up my mother's DSL service i was =
installing the DSL connection on windows. that's when the the trouble =
started. first things worked, after rebooting the system i started =
getting errors like "phone line busy" which was nonsense. then windows =
and finally even linux wouldn't start up any more, both OSs just froze =
without giving an error message.
since i had sufficient backups and it did not seem to be a big deal i =
decided to just install everything again.

installing windows was possible but the linux installation just does not =
get very far.
when i am trying to install the system i keep getting the same results, =
the installation stops after displaying the line:
 serial: 8250/16550 driver $revision: 1.90 $ 48 ports, IRQ sharing =
enabled installation=20
=20
i tried starting the installation using my older suse 8 cd and here i =
get a bit more information:

Serial driver version 5.05c with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ=20
SERIAL_PCI enabled

TtyS00 at 0x3f8 (irq =3D 4) is a 16550A
TtyS01 at 0x2f8 (irq =3D 3) is a 16550A
PCI: Found IRQ 11 with 00:03.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:03.0
Redundant entry in serial pci_table. Please send the output of lspci-vv, =
this message (115,000c,8086,2408) and the manufacturer and name of=20
serial board or modem board to serial-pci-info@lists.sourceforge.net

so i started checking if really all hardware components were working on =
w2k and found out that installing the modem (which is the device using =
IRQ 11) also causes it to crash. all this seems to tell me that =
something is wrong with this part of the hardware.=20
what i do not know is if it is at all possible for this silly DSL =
"connection wizard" to mess up the network/modem card. i have also tried =
to solve the problem by resetting the bios  to default (which had no =
effect). i was also looking for a bios setting that deals with the =
network/modem card and maybe allows me to disable it but did not find =
such an option.
does anyone have an idea that the problem might be? is there any boot =
option i could try?
all replies are greatly appreciated...=20
thanks,
sabine

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C5D435.DE0FCDA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>hello,<BR>i am suddenly =
encountering&nbsp;problems=20
with my thinkpad t21 and don't find anything helpful on the web, perhaps =
someone=20
on the list has an idea what's going on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>for a long time i have been running =
suse linux 9.1=20
and win2k (for my digital tv card) on my notebook, things where just=20
fine.<BR>last week while i was setting up my mother's DSL service i was=20
installing the DSL connection on windows. that's when the the trouble =
started.=20
first things worked, after rebooting the system i started getting errors =
like=20
"phone line busy" which was nonsense. then windows and finally even =
linux=20
wouldn't start up any more, both OSs just froze without giving an error=20
message.<BR>since i had sufficient backups and it did not seem to be a =
big deal=20
i decided to just install everything again.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>installing windows was possible but the =
linux=20
installation just does not get very far.<BR>when i am trying to install =
the=20
system i keep getting the same results, the installation stops after =
displaying=20
the line:<BR>&nbsp;serial: 8250/16550 driver $revision: 1.90 $ 48 ports, =
IRQ=20
sharing enabled installation <BR>&nbsp;<BR>i tried starting the =
installation=20
using my older suse 8 cd and here i get a bit more =
information:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Serial driver version 5.05c with HUB-6 =
MANY_PORTS=20
MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ <BR>SERIAL_PCI enabled</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TtyS00 at 0x3f8 (irq =3D 4) is a =
16550A<BR>TtyS01 at=20
0x2f8 (irq =3D 3) is a 16550A<BR>PCI: Found IRQ 11 with 00:03.1<BR>PCI: =
Sharing=20
IRQ 11 with 00:03.0<BR>Redundant entry in serial pci_table. Please send =
the=20
output of lspci=96vv, this message (115,000c,8086,2408) and the =
manufacturer and=20
name of <BR>serial board or modem board to <A=20
href=3D"mailto:serial-pci-info@lists.sourceforge.net">serial-pci-info@lis=
ts.sourceforge.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>so i started checking if really all =
hardware=20
components were working on w2k and found out that installing the modem =
(which is=20
the device using IRQ 11) also causes it to crash. all this seems to tell =
me that=20
something is wrong with this part of the hardware. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>what i do not know is if it is at all =
possible for=20
this silly DSL "connection wizard" to mess up the network/modem card. i =
have=20
also tried to solve the problem by resetting the bios&nbsp; to default =
(which=20
had no effect). i was also looking for a bios setting that deals with =
the=20
network/modem card and maybe allows me to disable it but did not find =
such an=20
option.<BR>does anyone have an idea that the problem might be? is there =
any boot=20
option i could try?<BR>all replies are greatly appreciated...=20
<BR>thanks,<BR>sabine</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C5D435.DE0FCDA0--