[ltp] Hard drive constantly spinning down

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:46:14 -0400

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:09:46 +0200, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 11:08:11PM -0700, Bill Sheppard wrote:
> > I just replaced the standard 40GB drive in my T42 with a Toshiba 60GB
> > drive.  Upon booting it appears the drive is spinning down after only a
> > few seconds, as almost every command I type is followed by a slight
> > delay, and then I hear the drive spin up.  I've tried "hdparm -B 255
> > /dev/hda" to turn off APM on the drive, but this doesn't seem to help.
> > I also think the drive may be operating far slower than it should - I
> > tried a "hdparm -t /dev/hda" and only got about 30MB/sec.  If I'm not
> > mistaken the old drive got over 100MB/sec, and this drive in it's
> > previous laptop (Toshiba Tecra S1) got around 100MB/sec as well.
>
> I'm not sure but 100MB/s seems a lot. I own a 60GB 7200 RPM disk and
> it gives me 36MB/s for buffered reads and 1147MB/s for cached reads
>
> Could other people post their result too ?

Maybe this is laptop-mode fault?
abonilla@debian:~$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       FUJITSU MHT2040AH
        Serial Number:      NP0JT512L999
        Firmware Revision:  846C
Standards:
        Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 3a
        Supported: 6 5 4 3
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:   78140160
        device size with M = 1024*1024:       38154 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:       40007 MBytes (40 GB)
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
        bytes avail on r/w long: 4      Queue depth: 1
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = ?
        Advanced power management level: 128 (0x80)
        Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 254
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    READ BUFFER cmd
           *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Write cache
           *    Power Management feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    SMART feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
                SET MAX security extension
                Power-Up In Standby feature set
           *    Advanced Power Management feature set
           *    DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
           *    SMART self-test
           *    SMART error logging
Security: