[ltp] Conexant modem: NO CARRIER

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:30:23 +1300

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 04:16, Ignacio Fern=E1ndez Galv=E1n wrote:
> Florian Dorpmueller, 17-10-2005:
> >> So, verything seems to be working, except the last step: the modem is
> >> not  replying to the ISP. What am I missing? Anyone having a similar
> >> experience  (and solving it)?
> >
> > Look at /etc/ppp/options. Replace the "auth"-option by with "noauth" or
> > deactivate the concerned line by inserting a "#".
>
> Thanks for replying, but my /etc/ppp/options has already "noauth" (and no
> "auth").
>
> Any other idea?

It's worth running the scanmodem software from:-
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

It's very informative. Also check that you have the very latest Linuxant=20
software configured correctly for your country. If that doesn't work, ( It=
=20
didn't in New Zealand 6 weeks ago ) then the solution is either to buy a US=
B=20
<-> serial converter and use a working external modem or to buy a hardware=
=20
PCMCIA modem, which is probably impossible now-a-days unless you are=20
extremely fortunate and manage to get a second hand one off an auction site.

A recent edition of slmodem _might_ work, take notice of what scanmodem tel=
ls=20
you.

=2D-=20
CS