[ltp] T42 Success in Booting Rescue and Recovery after GRUB Install!

Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:38:52 +0300

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 04:33:26PM -0400, Jiang Qian wrote:
> For those of you out there who had the same problem of booting T43=20
> rescue&recovery partition after installing GRUB in MBR, my success=20
> might be of use:
> Sympton: After installing GRUB in MBR and booting the rescue and=20
> recovery parition, one arrives a blue screen.

I had the same problem.

> Solution: Apparently this is due to wrong assignment of partition id by=
=20
> fdisk or something like that.

I think it is just so that the partition is hidden from the normal
Windows installation and doesn't show up as a disk drive.  The default
ThinkPad MBR probably changes it to FAT if you press Access IBM during
startup, and then changes it back to the hidden ID on next boot.

> After reading this
> http://sharadware.com/2005/07/11/suse-linux-winxp-access-ibm-on-the-think=
pad-t43/#comment-165
> by checking here:
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Rescue_and_Recovery
> I changed the ID(partition type) of my rescue and recovery=20
> partition(for my computer /dev/sda2) from Compaq diagnostics(12) to WIN=
=20
> 95 Fat 32(b). And now I boot into rescue and recovery fine!

Thank you!  This works on my T42 as well.

By the way, you can ask GRUB to change the partition type for you, so
you could have a GRUB menu entry that sets the recovery partition type
to 0x0b (FAT32) then boots it, and another GRUB menu entry that sets the
partition type back to 0x12 and boots Windows -- so that the recovery
partition wouldn't be visible as a drive in Windows, and you wouldn't
break it accidentally.

> Hope this can help people out there.

Yep, thanks again!

Marius Gedminas
--=20
ultimate_answer_t deep_thought(void) { sleep(years2secs(7500000)); return 4=
2; }
        -- ConceptJunkie on Slashdot

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh--