[ltp] Getting T30. 3 questions

geoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:52:30 +1000

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 3:33 am, Jan Girlich wrote:
> Well, the basics are the same. It's getting interesting when you get to
> the details.
>
> Things which _may_ be hard.
> finding out if APM or ACPI is the better choice
> suspend-to-ram (esp. in combination with 3d-acceleration)
> using external VGA or eventually TV-out
> getting 3d acceleration working.
> make ultrabay hotswappable
> the fingerprint-sensor (if you have one)
> special screen resolutions
>
> Things which will be easy:
> laptop-mode
> thinkpad-buttons (tpb)
> suspend-to-disk
> touchpad-support
>
> Things you won't have like in Windows:
> HDAPS detecting a fall and stopping the drives (the "motion-sensor" if
> the X30 has one)
>
> Every time I wrote "if" I was too lazy to take a look on the specs for
> the X30 to find out if it has the mentioned features.
>
> But let me put it this way: I found good howtos and documentation for
> gentoo at this place:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_on_laptops
>
> Have a look at this wiki for other topics about your laptop too!
>
> Bye
> Jan

Great Jan, thanks. Lots of stuff there for me to work on. Just waiting for
 the blue slip in my mailbox to tell me the lappy has arrived at the Post
 Office. I might try out the live CD's of Knoppix or Mepis on it to see what
 gets recognised before I install Gentoo. Do you have any thoughts on the
 Gentoo installer "Kororaa"?
Thanks again.