[ltp] Getting T30. 3 questions

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:55:45 +1300

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:52, Jan Girlich wrote:
> geoff wrote:
> >  gets recognised before I install Gentoo. Do you have any thoughts on the
> >  Gentoo installer "Kororaa"?
>
> Well, this might be a bit OT, but I don't like this idea which I didn't
> know until now.
>
> It's a binary stage3-install.
>
> So all the main-advantages of gentoo are lost.

<snip>

> On the other hand it's a quick and easy installation. If you have a
> CD-ROM and don't need any advantages which gentoo offers. But then you
> might also want to try Fedora, Debian or any other binary-distribution
> with preinstalled selected packets etc. They might have a much better
> installer and better built-in-support for laptops.

I can agree with the truth of many of your points, but I want to point out one
scenario, which in fact is the one I always use.

By doing a stage3 - package install, I can have a running system in a few
hours, and set it up to recompile to my tastes in the background, even though
that might take a few days with a slow laptop.

So the main advantages of gentoo are deferred - as they will be anyway, as it
will take the same length of time to compile the system from scratch as to
re-compile it to my specs.  But I gain (not quite) immediate use of my laptop
(or other computer).

In fact, I will do a stage3 - package install, then work directly to get
suspend-resume working.  After that, I can carry my laptop to and from work
and it will cheerily chug away in the background creating my ideal software
reality.  And I get the use of it in the meantime.

So, I get Gentoo, and I get my cake, and in the meantime I have some bread to
eat to tide me over.

Cheers,
Bret