[ltp] Seeking advice: T42p vs T43p

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:47:32 -0400

I've got a T43. T43p as far as I know merely have better graphic card
and slightly faster chips. SATA layer is probably the same. I got
suspend to ram working with kernel patching, see this page
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux
for the patches needed. After patches suspend to ram fully works. As to
performance, I get hdparm -t to be around 37 MB per second. What's the
hdparm for T42? I did make sure I get the 72000rpm drive.

I haven't used vga out for presentation but this page might help you:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_X300
it says you need to use the vesa driver from xorg to get vga out. If
I'm not mistaken vesa is a generic driver and you don't want it for
everyday work. For performance reason you probably would want to use
radeon driver. So in that sense you probably do need to restart x for
that.
That being said I strong suspect this is true for any ati driver, T42
or T43. So in that sense it doesn't matter.

Hope these info helps.
Jiang