[ltp] Seeking advice: T42p vs T43p

Thomas Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:20:31 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 20.10.2005, 16:23 -0400 schrieb Jiang Qian:
> > ok!
> >
> > So does anybody has an idea of whether the SATA layer from the t43
> > provides any advantage over the t42?
> >
> > Or maybe somebody know whether the issues with the SATA layer and
> > suspend in linux are about to be solved?
> What do you mean? If you read my email and the link carefully you'll
> see it is already solved. After applying the patch, which is included
> in newest Ubuntu, there's no problem suspending to RAM for SATA layer.
> For performance we need someone with non SATA drive for T42p to tell
> use what does his hdparm -tT tell them.

hi,
i own one of these t42p's. upgraded the hd last month to the hgst 100gb
7200.

mala:~# hdparm  -tT /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   2504 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1250.94 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  154 MB in  3.01 seconds =  51.09 MB/sec
(after gdm login, debian/gnome)

the result after "init 1" is almost the same:
/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   2484 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1240.33 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  156 MB in  3.04 seconds =  51.39 MB/sec

greetings,
thomas

PS: the values for the buit-in hd (60gb, 7200) were - as i remember -
about 35 to 39 mb/sec.