[ltp] Losing the partition table upon reboot?

Thomas Roessler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:48:24 +0200

Hi,

I've now, for the second time, lost my T43's partition table during
a re-boot (machine refused to boot; fdisk then reported some bad
flag). The first time was about three months ago; no problems in
between.

Fortunately, the fix was as easy as finding that old note where I
had jotted down the partition table, re-writing it from rescue mode,
and running "grub-install /dev/sda." After that, the machine would
again boot normally, and is now working well.

The linux installed here is a Fedora Core 4 which accesses the
machine's drive using the ata_piix driver.

Should I be worried about the hardware sanity of my laptop?  Is
there any known setup mistake (or software bug) that can lead to
this effect?

(FWIW, I'm heavily using suspend to ram with the acpi_sleep=3Ds3_bios
option.)

Regards,
--=20
Thomas Roessler =B7 Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.