[ltp] SuSE Pro 10.0

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:31:34 -0400

What is the kernel for SUSE 10.0? If it is lower than 2.6.12 then
I suspect it is due to the following bug to SATA driver of kernel. I had
the same problem. It's the problem of error handling of SATA
implementation. From
http://rtr.ca/dell_i9300/
I quote:
"The stock Linux-2.6 (prior to 2.6.13) libata drivers have buggy ATAPI
error handling, which results in random system lockups from time to
time when doing heavy disk I/O, but only while the DVD-RW drive is
empty. The (K)Ubuntu desktop polls the DVD-RW every two seconds for
disc insertion, and (when drive is empty) each poll fails and triggers
the buggy error handling code. So either just leave a disc in the drive
and it won't fail, or upgrade to kernel 2.6.13 (or higher)."
You can apply a patch from the said page.
Jiang