[ltp] T42: slow (2-minute) resumes from S3 sleep

Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:24:15 +0300

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 06:50:12PM +0100, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> >Sometimes (not always), when I press Fn-F4 to suspend, the resume takes
> >literally 2 wall-clock minutes.  The kernel just sits there and does
> >nothing for about 100 seconds (I will include the excerpt of dmesg with
> >timestamps at the end of the email).  If I just run the exact same
> >/etc/acpi/sleep.sh script directly (say, from the gnome Run dialog, with
> >gksudo), the resume is fast.
>
> the behaviours should not be different when you lauch "by hand"=20
> /etc/acpi/sleep.sh

Well, but it is.  Maybe it has something to do with the Fn key being
pressed while the machine is suspending, and causing the PS/2 driver to
become confused?  Or the ACPI subsystem is in a different state because
it is in the middle of processing an event?  I've no clue.

> can you do that please :
> less /etc/acpi/events/ibm-sleepbtn

  # /etc/acpi/events/ibmsleepbtn
  # Called when the user presses the sleep button

  event=3Dibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001004
  action=3D/etc/acpi/sleep.sh sleep

> Probably it trigers the sleep script with the option sleep, so are you=20
> sure that calling the script prevent the system from being slow at wakeup=
 ?

Aha!  I didn't notice that option.

However I used a /etc/acpi/sleep.sh script of my own for a while, when I
wastrying to track down this problem, and my script ignored command-line
arguments.  It basically did this (I removed comments, blank lines, and
the bits from http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ACPI_sleep_power_drain_test_script
that measured battery usage):

  /sbin/modprobe -r -s usbhid
  /sbin/modprobe -r -s uhci_hcd
  /sbin/modprobe -r -s ehci_hcd
  /sbin/ifdown -a
  FGCONSOLE=3D`fgconsole`
  chvt 12
  echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep
  chvt $FGCONSOLE
  /sbin/modprobe -s ehci_hcd
  /sbin/modprobe -s uhci_hcd
  /sbin/modprobe -s usbhid
  /sbin/ifup -a &

Marius Gedminas
--=20
User n.:
        A programmer who will believe anything you tell him.

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr--